Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Apocalyptic Rain and Such


Took the trailer out for its first far from home adventure this weekend.  It was an  adventure.

As you can see in the pics below, I decided  to vagabond my way to the Gila Cliff Dwellings in New Mexico to laze in the hot springs and gawk at Indian ruins and such.

Here are some shots of the trailer in the high country - check out that sweet diamond plate tool box I've secured to the front.





After a successful weekend of drinking beer and soaking in hot springs - I made my way home.

For those of you not in the know, it's monsoon season in the southwest.  For some reason or another, the monsoon Gods did not approve of the trailer, and tried to wreck it at every chance.

Chance #1:  Gail force winds and the hatch:  I found out the hard way, but if you expose the rear of the trailer to 70 mph winds, the hatch unlatches and tries to fly like an eagle off of the back of the rig.  I tried to get a picture of this but almost swerved into a van full of old ladies, so you'll have to take my word for it.  This happened three times before I para-corded the thing shut.

Chance #2:  Holy rain, Batman:  I received rain all weekend, but not enough to frighten me.  The hurricane hinge didn't drain water as well as I would have wanted, but it was definitely water tight.  Not until I got on the I-10 back home did I start to wonder what the heck was going on.  I've seen some pretty gnarly tropical storms in the Pacific, but this storm on the I-10 coming home was epic.  Semi trucks were pulling over because visibility was so bad.  Flash flooding across the desert.  (Not the arroyos!)  Like the honey badger, I kept my head down and made it home, and inspected my precious tear for the anticipated water damage.  There was only  small leak in the cabin from the window, and this was due to my own stupidity for not unblocking the bottom weep holes in the window.  Needless to say, these are unblocked, and my drop is now dry....  :)

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting adventure.
    We use camping with tent. We usually camp on state grounds. It is safe and all well organized. We going around NYC in NY state.

    ReplyDelete