Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cabinets

Got some work done this weekend.  I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and was disappointed by the selection I saw.  They all looked like they were made of cardboard and other flimsy materials, which is fine for a house, but not my caravan.

So I decided to build some of my own.  It was an adventure.  Took two tries to get the face frame right, and I split a bunch of material till I figured out that I needed to pre-drill everything.  Here's some pics.:
Test fitting frame.  The frame is actually serving as a structural element of the trailer, and stiffened it significantly.



Here's a shot before I finished them and cut the doors out.

Completed face frame.  This turned out really, really nice.  Norm Abrams, if you're out there, I did this without your 6000 sq. ft shop and 1.5  million dollars worth of vises, saws, and jigs!
Picture of the installed cabinets.  Plenty of room in there.  The cabin will officially be finished once I get it trimmed in , and a few homey details.

Another pic of the cabinets installed.  I'm thinking about using one of those doors as a beer holder.

And I got it insulated today.  It's also got the sheet of aluminum covering the top of it, but I may need to take it off since it's not fitting quite like I would have expected.

1 comment: